Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Key Lime Pie

And.....we're back! Sorry for the break there :) Summer just got to be too much fun and blogging less fun (and less time for it with all the kids home). So let's end the summer right with a delicious key lime pie. I've not had many key lime pies, but thought I'd give this one a try. I decided to try this recipe out because it had the same review situation as Sam's famous carrot cake I found on allrecipes.com--out of hundreds of reviews, hardly any bad reviews. You can't beat a recipe like that, so I thought I'd give it a go, especially since we had a bagful of key limes that were on sale at the grocery store.


Overall we really liked this pie and have made it twice already :) The first time I diligently squeezed 30-ish key limes (after zesting several to get the Tablespoon of zest the recipe calls for). It took forever, and in the end I was just shy of the 3/4 cup of key lime juice needed. But it really tasted phenomenal.


The next time we made it, I just used regular lime zest (about 3 limes) and then key lime juice in a container. The end result was just as good, the only difference being it had a more potent lime taste probably because I actually got the 3/4 cup and it's a bit more concentrated. Either way you go though, it's delicious!!
Key Lime Pie VII
allrecipes.com (annrichardson)

1 prepared 9-inch graham cracker crust
3 cups sweetened condensed milk (2 cans)
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup key lime juice
1 Tablespoon lime zest

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Make your graham cracker crust or get your pre-made one ready to go. In a medium bowl combine sweetened condensed milk, sour cream, key lime juice, and lime zest. Mix well and pour into crust. Bake for 5-8 minutes. DO NOT BROWN. Chill pie thoroughly before serving. Garnish with lime slice and whipped cream if desired.

Here's the recipe for the graham cracker crust I use:

Graham Cracker Crust

1 1/2 cup finely crushed graham cracker crumbs (about 1 sleeve graham crackers)
1/3 sugar
6 Tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (didn't use it with the key lime pie--but it's good in other recipes)

Mix all ingredients until well blended. Press into an 8- or 9-inch pie plate. Bake at 375 for 7 minutes. Cool. If recipe calls for an unbaked graham cracker crust, just chill for an hour instead of baking before filling.

No comments: